Black Friday is a day after Thanksgiving Day in America. It is on the fourth Friday of November annually. On this day, many stores open very early and offer promotional sales. It is the first day of Christmas shopping season since 1952. In Vietnam, US-style Black Friday has traveled to Vietnam for several years. It is also on Friday (24/11).
1. Black Friday: Ngày thứ Sáu đen tối
2. Thanksgiving Day: Ngày lễ tạ ơn
3. Annually (adverb): hằng năm
4. Offer promotional sales: đưa ra (chương trình) giảm giá, khuyến mại
5. Christmas shopping season: mùa mua sắm (nhân dịp) Giáng Sinh
6. US-style Black Friday: ý chỉ ngày giảm giá mua sắm theo phong cách Mỹ
Not Japan, Singapore or anywhere else, Hong Kong is a place where people have to pay the biggest amount of money for properties. According to South China Morning Post, two units in a luxury housing development at The Peak are sold at HK$1.16 billion ($149 million). The price of a 4,579 square-foot apartment is $76.8 million so buyers must pay HK$132,000 / square feet. Although Hong Kong is the worldwide most-expensive city for an apartment, the citizen has average living space about 150 square feet.
Following the data, if a skilled worker wants to buy a 650 square-foot apartment in the city center, he/she would put aside his/her salary for 20 years. It is wealth inequality for the middle class. According to Housing Society chairman Marco Wu Moon, “the imbalance between property supply and demand in Hong Kong is serious and very worrying.”
Source: Business Insider
VietJet Aviation JSC plans to expand its fleet to include wide-body jets as the Vietnamese low-cost carrier considers California as its first U.S. destination starting about 2019.
Vietnam’s biggest private airline would use the larger aircraft to begin the route after the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration grants Vietnam airlines permission to fly to America, said Nguyen Thi Phuong Thao, VietJet’s founder and chief executive officer. The first flights could link the Southeast Asian nation with the Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport, located near a large Vietnamese community, and would also be close enough to serve San Francisco, she said.
“We aim to expand international flights in the next few years” Thao said in an interview. “We want to make international flights 60 percent of our total flights. Weare also studying the possibility of using widebody planes for long-haul flights when market conditions are favorable.”
VietJet, known for a publicity stunt involving bikini-clad flight attendants, is expanding rapidly as it goes head on with Vietnam Airlines Corp. for a larger slice of an air-passenger market that the International Air Transport Association estimates will be among the world’s five fastest-growing in the next 20 years. Vietnam Air CEO Duong Tri Thanh said this week the state-controlled carrier is considering a route to Los Angeles by late 2019 or early 2020.
1. low-cost carrier / budget carrier (n): hãng hàng không giá rẻ
2. state-controlled carrier (n): hãng hàng không quốc gia
3. (to) grant [someone] permission to [do something]: cấp phép cho [ai đó] làm [việc gi]
4. (to be) located: (một tổ chức, công ty, trường học, v.v.) được đặt tại đâu
5. (to) study the possibility of [something]: nghiên cứu tính khả thi của [việc gi]
6. long-haul flight (n): chuyến bay đường dài
7. favorable market conditions: điều kiện thị trường thuận lợi
8. (to be) known for [something]: nổi tiếng về điều gì
9. publicity stunt (n): chiêu trò quảng bá
10. (to) go head on with: đối đầu, cạnh tranh với
“Last Christmas, I gave you my heart. But the very next day you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears. I’ll give it to someone special”. It seems to be familiar with everybody. Christmas is coming and the old song is never too old for the season. This time, the song is performed by Taylor Swift, making it for modern and fun.